Monday, September 12, 2011

Carbon Footprint

http://www.nature.org/greenliving/carboncalculator/index.htm

The sight I used is good for me because it does not include bill prices that a 15 year old girl would not know. But it does mention good ways I can change my lifestyle to save our planet. My family and I produce 150 tons of CO2 per year. Which is unfortunately above the average american household. I can change my lifestyle in a way that helps the Earth by traveling less because a lot of my CO2 emissions came from flying and cars. Another way I can reduce my CO2 emissions is by turning off my lights when I am not in the room. I could also talk to my family about turning the heat down in the winter so we can stay warm but throw on a sweater instead of turning up the heat. In my school I can support our Earth by helping Interact pick up recycling. I can recycle my bottles at lunch instead of throwing them in the trash can. I can also talk to my friends about the environment and how important it is for us to all save it. In my community I can pick up trash alongside the road and in our football stadium because they are always cluttered with garbage. I can talk to the city and see what I can do to volunteer with their new water filtering systems. The third thing I can do is talk to my Uncle Ron who owns the Flashes News Paper and ask him to include articles and advertisements about going green and giving the community ideas on how to do so.
This gives me a clue on where I'm at when it comes to the Earth's pollution. I am above average and a lot of it is because of my poor traveling decisions. This gives me an idea about what I can do for my project. I can compare the difference between traveling in my Ford Flex which gets about 24 miles to the gallon and traveling in a Chevrolet Volt. Chevy Volts are electric and gas. They get about 40 miles to the gallon when running on gas.

1 comment:

  1. Great reflection.
    You may have an idea for an action project of getting the work out and starting a green ideas space in local newspapers. Even letting our community know the cool stuff we already do.

    ReplyDelete